We've got a photo shoot on Tuesday for some new packaging we're developing, and I've been tasked with the creation of our visual props - sweets that will make our chocolate chips and chunks look gorgeous.
Though I've got carte blanche to make anything I like with any ingredient I like (including wheat, eggs and butter - ingredients that are usually verboten around here) I decided to try my hand today at a gluten-free, vegan, and allergy-friendly blondie, a bar cookie that would highlight the magnificence of our chunks. Allergy-friendly means no soy or bean flours - there is some cross-linkages between certain bean flours (such as pea) and peanuts and soy is one of the top 8 allergens.
The recipe came out surprisingly well - baked for 20 minutes, it is soft, chewy, and good. And decadent. If you like a less moist blondie, bake this up to 25 minutes. But I don't recommend it. If you usually keep your blondies around for a few days, you'll want them to be moist.
Admittedly I used a few ingredients that aren't easy to find in the market. Pre-gelatinized rice flour, anyone? I've taken those out of this recipe - it will work just as well. When you mix the dough, it won't look like much - but it spreads like a dream when baked. Double up the recipe and increase baking time if you like a thicker blondie.
Cake and Commerce's Decadent Vegan and Gluten-free Blondies
- 1 C + 1 T Gluten Free Flour Blend (I used 1/2 C Cassava Flour, 1/4 C White Rice Flour, 1/4 C Buckwheat Flour and 1 T Rice Starch)
- 1/4 t Xanthan Gum (optional if you use my tapioca gel - you don't need gum with it!)
- 1/2 t Baking Soda
- 1/4 t Baking Powder (I use Hain's Gluten-free with tapioca)
- Flax Gel: 1/3C Water, warm PLUS 2T finely ground flax (or 1/3 C Tapioca Gel)
- 1/2 t Salt
- 1/3 C Grapeseed Oil (or oil of your choosing)
- 1 C firmly packed brown sugar OR 1.5 T Molasses and 1-1/4 C Vegan Cane Sugar
- 1 T Vanilla Extract
- 1 C Chocolate Chunks or Chips
- Preheat oven to 350. If using convection, preheat to 300. Prepare a 9" square baking pan with parchment or non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Combine all the wet ingredients and allow to sit while you mix the rest of the ingredients
- Combine all the dry ingredients except the brown sugar. sift together if desired
- In a large bowl, combine wet ingredients with brown sugar. Mix until uniform
- Add all the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until well combined
- Add in the chunks, stir until mixed
- Place batter in prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes, or until sides begin to turn golden and top has formed a golden crust - it will be firm but not hard all the way through.
- Allow to cool. Cut into squares and enjoy.
Keeps for up to one week when stored in an airtight container in a cool place. May be frozen.